Baby-boom gripped Hollywood, star parents increasingly give birth to two babies immediately. Femlive asked an expert about multiple pregnancy differences from usual, and normal woman’s chances to give birth to twins.
Twins are coming!
Angelina and Brad «achieved» a girl and a boy …
Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony too …
“Desperate Housewife” Marcia Cross and Tom Mahoney have two daughters …
Nadia Sulaiman is famous thanks to the fact she once gave birth to eight babies.
In the early 80’s, only one of hundred pregnant women could count on such joy. This is explained by following reasons:
* First, today more and more women postpone childbearing to a later date. And with age, concentration of hormones such as FSH, which stimulates egg maturation increases in their blood. Thus, several ovaries may be ready to fertilize.
* Secondly, if a woman cannot conceive naturally, she applies into reproductive centers where passes a course of hormonal therapy, which often results in several mature eggs.
Boys or girls?
Boys can arise in two ways: either a fertilized egg is split in the very early stage, or fertilization occurs immediately in two eggs.
Today future mothers can learn how many children they expect on already 7-10-th week of pregnancy: listening of heart tone and ultrasound allow doing so.
Women, pregnant with more than one child, have higher risk of toxicity both on early stage, and after the 20 th week. The level of hormones in blood is significantly higher than during normal pregnancy, so such mothers are exposed to morning nausea more often. In addition, there is a high probability of varicose veins due to weight gain, and load on heart muscle is increased three or four times. Mothers of several children suffer from iron deficiency more often than usual.
A future mother, who expects twins, is enlisted in the category of pregnant women with high risk. She will have to pass more preventive examinations: after 20 weeks - every two weeks and after 30 weeks - every week.
10 practical tips
* 1 In case of twins a future mother’s stomach decreases due to excessive pressure of stretched uterus. For this reason, meals should be divided into six small portions, which will include necessary products.
* 2 Usual dose of necessary substances is twice multiplied, and if you’re expecting triplets - treble. For example, to «implement» the daily norm of calcium, which during normal pregnancy is 1,280-1,300 mg per day, which is approximately 200 ml of skim milk or 110 g of salmon with bones, you need to multiply 200 ml milk or 110 g fish at two.
* 3 Since pregnant woman suffers from iron deficiency, she should not just take drugs containing iron, but also replenish body with iron naturally. Here are products that contain it in large quantities: cereals, beef, liver and other offal, sardines, turnips, artichokes, melons, potatoes in jackets, spinach, soy beans, syrup, dried vegetables.
* 4 As vessels are overloaded, you should consume daily vitamin C. To get the right dose of vitamin C per day, you should eat at least two of the following products: 1 grapefruit, 1 cup grapefruit juice, three medium oranges, mango , two large tomatoes, 100 g vegetable juice, sweet pepper, half-cup boiled cauliflowers.
* 5 Most likely, a doctor will prescribe folic acid in tablets or vitamin complexes, as it is necessary for normal growth of tissues.
* 6 A future mom of twins needs an extra rest: involve husband and family in house matters.
* 7 At the first opportunity (at least 2-3 hours a day) take reclining posture and put feet on elevation, to reduce tension and pressure from cervix.
* 8 Perhaps it makes sense to go to a decree earlier than during normal pregnancy, or even leave work for some time.
* 9 Excessive mobility and physical activity are harmful, and perhaps the only safe sport in this condition is swimming, and only after consultation with a doctor.
* 10 Be careful while prenatal exercising.
Insurance of premature birth
Double or even triple load on uterus often leads to early uterine mouth opening and contractions. It is for this reason that the majority of twins are born early - sometime after the 37 th week, and only 10% of twins «stand» up to 40 weeks. And the main doctor’s task is to «hold» babies in belly as long as possible. If there is a risk of premature uterine mouth opening, they use seam or put a special soft silicone ring on cervix. It is removed shortly before childbirth.
Multiple pregnancy is not always completed with Caesarean section. Every second twin is born today without surgical intervention.